Delves Café Tender
Thorne-Moorends Town Council wishes to draw your attention to an exciting opportunity to run an established catering business at the Delves, Thorne.
The Delves is a popular, picturesque, local green space located off Selby Road in Thorne, Doncaster. Boasting woodland and two fishing lakes (which are managed by local voluntary groups) the site is popular with anglers, ramblers, dog walkers and others taking a stroll around the setting, which is treasured by the community.
On the Delves site sits the modernly refurbished Delves building which for many years has been occupied as a Café. The Café was, at its height, very popular with visitors and anglers alike.
The Council is now keen to find a good tenant who will be able to maximise the potential of the building as a café, will work in partnership with the Council and voluntary groups, has relevant experience in business and the catering industry, a good track record and sound financial standing.
Proposed Contract Commencement: to be agreed.
Tender Return Date: by 5pm on 19th October 2023.
If you are interested in running the cafe with effect from 2023, please find links to the tender and application form below.
If you have any difficulty completing the application, please contact Laura Waude, Town Clerk – email: email@example.com address: Assembly Rooms, Fieldside, Thorne, Doncaster DN8 4AE, telephone: (01405) 818015.
Delves Project Timeline
- 20th September 2023 – tender advertised for the lease of the Delves Café.
- March 2022 – Tenant vacated premises and surrendered the lease.
- A project funded by s.106 funding, the Delves Cafe was extensively refurbished in the early part of 2021 and re-opened its doors to customers on the 28th May 2021.
- September 2018 – Premises vacated by former tenant.
- September 2018 – Site visited by Town Councillors during Town Council meeting.
- October 2018 – Future of the building initially discussed and considered by Town Council at Town Council meeting.
- November 2018 – Council agrees remit for a Working Group to deliver necessary improvements to the building and the site.
- December 2018 – Meeting 1 of the Working Group takes place.
- January 2019 – Meeting 2 of the Working Group takes place.
- January 2019 – Pocket Parks Plus Grant Application submitted in the hope of securing £25,000 to help deliver external improvements on the site. Find out more about the grant fund
- March 2019 – Meeting 3 of the Working Group takes place.
- March 2019 – Government Grant bid confirmed as successful – £25000 funding award.
- March 2019 – 2 Open Events for potential new Café Tenants
- March 2019 – Temporary Disabled Portaloo Installed on site
- April 2019 – Planning Application Submitted for new Toilet Block
- April 2019 – Formal quotes sought for new Woodland Play Trail
- May 2019 – Planning Permission Application submitted for new Toilet Block on site.
- May 2019 – New Defib installed on Café Building
- May 2019 – 3rd open event for potential new Café Tenants.
- May 2019 – Quotes for development of café refurbishment tender scheme sought
- June 2019 – New bins, picnic benches and seating ordered for site using Pocket Park Grant funds
- June 2019 – Meeting 4 of the Working Group takes place.
- July 2019 – Planning Permission granted for Toilet Block
- July 2019 – Play Contractor chosen for Woodland play trail.
- July 2019 – Council sign off tender process for Café Tenants
- August 2019 – Quantity Surveyor appointed to prepare cafe refurbishment specification.
- August 2019 – Tender Packs sent to all interested parties for cafe tenancy.
- October 2019 – Meeting 5 of Working Group – Noted that no formal tenders were submitted for the tenancy.
- December 2019/January 2020 – Further s.106 funding sought to meet shortfall on cafe refurbishment costs.
- February 2020 – Meeting 6 of Working Group
- March 2020 – Full funding secured for Cafe Refurbishment
- March 2020 – Refurbishment Plans Unveiled
- June 2020 – Further s.106 funding confirmed
- June 2020 – New Woodland Play Trail installed.
- July 2020 – Tender Process to secure builder to undertake refurbishments to cafe
- August 2020 – Tenders received for cafe refurbishment
- August 2020 – Virtual meeting of working group
- September 2020 – Review of tenders for cafe refurbishment
- September 2020 – Bulb planting day at Delves
- October – Virtual meeting of working group
- October 2020 – Final funding confirmed for building refurbishment works.
- November 2020 – Contract signed with building contractor for refurbishment works.
- December 2020 – New tenant secured for café premises to take occupation on completion of the refurbishment works.
- January 2021 – Refurbishment works to café commence
- May 2021 – Refurbishment works complete
- 24th May 2021 – Cafe re-opens under new tenancy.
- 16th March 2023 – Tenancy comes to an official end and the cafe becomes vacant.